Scope Urban Apparel is proud to be working with United Sisters of Color, Voices of Liberation, Brothers for Boston, Occupy the Hood Boston, the Blackstonian, 617 Live and FITT Body Bootcamp on Operation Backpack, an effort to supply underserved students with school supplies for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year.
- 42% of children in Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan live in poverty.
- In 1990, 34% of African American children lived in poverty. Now, 35%. White children in poverty have dropped from 18.5% to 9.5% during same period.
- 74% of the 57,000 Boston Public School students receive free or reduced lunch.
- Because the Federal Poverty Standard has not kept pace with Boston’s high cost of living, the poor are poorer today than they were 20 years ago.
- 35,000 households received food stamps in 2009.
- Between 2005-2009 one in five Latino and African Americans were living at or below the Federal Poverty Standard.
- Income inequality: White per capita income is at $45,6333 compared to $18,184 for African Americans and $16,266 for Latinos.
This is why we need your help – to get the tools for success to those communities most in need. There are many ways to help.
DONATE. You can make a financial donation on our website, via the event, or via paypal to achilds@unstoppableassista
- 3-ring binder
- 1, 3 or 5 Subject Notebook
- ***BACKPACKS BACKPACKS BACKPACKS***
- Circular protractor
- Colored pencils
- Colored pens
- Foreign Language Dictionary
- Glue stick
- Graph paper
- Hand sanitizer
- Index cards
- Paper clips
- Pencil sharpener
- Pocket dictionary
- Pocket folders
- Poster paper
- Ruler marked with in and cm
- Scientific calculator with fraction key
- Spiral notebook
These school supplies are for students in ALL GRADES (1-12). Please keep that in mind when purchasing so that we can have a range of age appropriate items.
Help us reach our goal of 400 backpacks to send 400 students to school with the proper tools and equipment to succeed!
There are also 3 events this Saturday to drive donations and support:
Public Donation Day: We will be accepting monetary and donations of supplies from 2-4 PM this Saturday at Holland Community Center 85 Onley Street, Dorchester MA.
There will also be a “Cash Mob” at Dollar Ave from 2-6 to buy supplies to donate. Dollar Ave – 646 Blue Hill Ave Dorchester.
Please donate anything you can and stay tuned for more opportunities to give back!